West Bengal 6th CPC – Revision of Pension of Pre‐01.01.2016 Pensioners
GOVERNMENT OF WEST BENGAL
Dated the 1st October, 2019
Subject : Revision of pension / family pension of Pre‐01.01.2016 Pensioners / Family Pensioners–Implementation of the Government decision on the recommendations of the Sixth Pay Commission.
The undersigned is directed to state that in pursuance of Government’s decision on the recommendations of the Sixth Pay Commission, the Governor has been pleased to revise the Pension / Family Pension of Pre‐2016 State Government Pensioners / Family Pensioners with effect from 01.01.2020 of all pre‐01.01.2016 Pensioners / Family Pensioners in the manner indicated in the succeeding paragraphs.
2. These orders will apply to all Pre‐2016 pensioners / family pensioners who were drawing Pension / Family Pension on 31.12.2015 under the West Bengal Services (Death‐cum‐Retirement Benefit) Rules, 1971, the West Bengal Services (Revision of Pension) Rules, 1952 and 1966, West Bengal Services (Extraordinary Pension) Rules, 1971.
3. In these orders –
(a) “Existing pensioners” or “Existing family pensioners” means pensioners who were drawing / entitled to pension / family pension on 31.12.2015.
(b) “Existing pension” means the basic pension inclusive of commuted portion, if any, due on 31.12.2015. It covers all classes of Pension under West Bengal Services (Death‐cum‐Retirement Benefit) Rules, 1971 or any other rules / orders mentioned in para 2 above, as issued by the State Government for the employees of this Government from time to time.
(c) “Existing family pension” means the basic family pension / ex‐gratia family pension / ad‐hoc family pension / extraordinary family pension due on 31.12.2015 under the West Bengal Services (Death‐cum‐Retirement Benefit) Rules, 1971, the West Bengal Services (Extraordinary Pension) Rules, 1971 or Family Pension Scheme, 1965.
4.1. The pension / family pension of existing pre‐2016 pensioners / family pensioners will be revised notionally by multiplying the existing basic pension / basic family pension as on 31.12.2015 by 2.57. The amount of revised pension / family pension so arrived at shall be rounded off to next 10 (ten) rupees, if the said amount is not a multiple of Rs.10 (ten). However, if the revised basic Pension is below Rs. 8500/, it will be fixed at minimum of Rs. 8500/‐.
The amount so arrived at will be regarded as revised pension / family pension with effect from 01.01.2020.
|Existing Basic Pension as
|Figure arrived at on
multiplication by 2.57
|Revised Basic Pension after
rounding off to next 10 (ten)
|Rs. 3302||Rs. 8486.14||Rs. 8500 (Minimum Pension)|
|Rs. 3422||Rs. 8794.54||Rs. 8800|
|Rs. 6432||Rs. 16530.24||Rs. 16540|
|Rs. 11000||Rs. 28270.00||Rs. 28270|
As the revision is based on a simple formula, a Ready Reckoner for the same is not necessary.
As the consolidated Pension of the Pensioner revised in accordance with the above provision, will be inclusive of commuted value of Pension, if any, such commuted portion shall be deducted from the Pension while making monthly disbursement.
|Age of Pensioners||Additional Quantum of Pension|
|From 80 years to less than 85 years||20% of revised basic pension / family pension.|
|From 85 years to less than 90 years||30% of revised basic pension / family pension|
|From 90 years to less than 95 years||40% of revised basic pension / family pension|
|From 95 years to less than 100 years||50% of revised basic pension / family pension|
|100 years or more||100% of revised basic pension / family pension|
‘A’ was entitled to a basic Pension of Rs. 13525/‐ per month from 01.10.2014 (i.e. before 01.01.2016). After commutation of 40% of Pension i.e. Rs. 5410/‐, his Pension reduced to Rs. 8115/‐. He is now drawing Pension of Rs. 8115/‐ and relief, as admissible, on original basic Pension of Rs. 13525/‐.
His revised Pension will be Rs. 13525/‐ × 2.57 = Rs. 34759.25 i.e. Rs. 34760/‐ (after rounding off to next ten rupees). As the consolidated Pension is inclusive of commuted portion of Pension, the commuted amount of Rs. 5410/‐ shall be deducted from Rs. 34760/‐ for monthly disbursement of Pension which will be Rs. 29350/‐ (Rs. 34760/‐ – Rs.5410/‐) from 01.01.2020.
4.2. In the case of pensioners who are in receipt of more than one pension, the minimum of Rs.8,500/‐ (eight thousand five hundred) will apply to the total of all pensions taken together.
4.3. The upper ceiling on pension / family pension laid down in Memo. No. 200–F(Pen) dated 25.02.2009 has been increased from Rs. 35,000/‐ and Rs. 21,000/‐ to Rs. 1,00,500/‐ and Rs. 60,300/‐ respectively.
4.4. The fixation of pension will be subject to the provision that the revised pension, in no case, shall be lower than 50% of the minimum of the Pay in the Pay matrix in the revised Pay Structure corresponding to the pre‐revised pay‐scale / pre‐revised pay structure from which the pensioner had retired.
4.5. The quantum of pension / family pension available to the old pensioners / family pensioners shall be increased as follows :
The amount of additional pension will be shown distinctly in the pension payment order.
5. The cases of State Government employees who have been permanently absorbed in public sector undertakings / autonomous bodies etc. will be regulated as follows:
(a) Where a Government employee on permanent absorption in public sector undertakings / autonomous bodies etc. opted for drawal of monthly pension separately from the
(b) Where the Government employees have drawn one‐time lump sum terminal benefits equal to 100% of their pension, the provisions contained in this memorandum will not be applicable to them.
6. Extraordinary pension sanctioned to the pensioners prior to 01.01.2016 will also be revised if any of the pensioners is in receipt of pension on 01.01.2016 by taking together all the units as single unit and thereafter his / her share may be paid in the same proportion as was previously paid.
7. All the Treasury Officers disbursing pension to the State Government pensioners / family pensioners are hereby authorized to pay pension / family pension, etc. to the existing pensioner / family pensioner at the revised rates without any further authorization from the Accountant General (A&E), West Bengal. The Accountant General (A&E), West Bengal will issue authority for this payment to all Public Sector Banks in Kolkata and also to the Accountant Generals of other States.
8. A suitable entry regarding the revised consolidated pension shall be made by the Treasury Officer in both halves of the Pension Payment Order. An intimation regarding the disbursement of revised pension may be sent by the Treasury Officer to the Accountant General (A&E), West Bengal, who issued the Pension Payment Order in the form given at Annexure–I to this memorandum to enable the latter to update the Pension Payment Order Register maintained by them.
The Public Sector Banks in Kolkata will also send such intimation in the prescribed form to the Accountant General (A&E), West Bengal. An acknowledgement shall be obtained by all Pension Disbursing Officers from the Accountant General (A&E), West Bengal in this respect.
9. The revised pension / family pension as worked out in accordance with para 4.1 to 4.5 above shall be treated as final “Basic Pension” with effect from 01.01.2020 and shall qualify for grant of relief on pension sanctioned thereafter, if any.
10. Where the Pension is increased due to revision, such increased pension will not be considered for further commutation.
Sd/‐ H. K. Dwivedi,
Additional Chief Secretary to the Government of West Bengal