Government is aware of the unemployment problem of youth. In order to improve the employability of the youth, Ministry of Labour & Employment is implementing the following major schemes for skill enhancement:
Craftsmen Training Scheme (CTS)
Apprenticeship Training Scheme (ATS)
Skill Development Initiative through Modular Employable Skills.
Aforesaid schemes have training capacity of about 1.87 million persons per annum. Besides, 17 other ministries are also providing skill training in the areas of skill concerning their jurisdictions.
For enhancing employability & capacity building of youth, Sub-Committee of National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT) on ‘Norms & Courses’ has recommended to introduce a subject tilted “Life Skills” in all Industrial Training Institutes / Centres (ITIs/ITCs). The course on Life Skills includes the following modules: Communication Skills, English Proficiency, Basic Computer literacy, Entrepreneurial Development Skills, Quality Management Tools and Occupational Safety and Health.
The Union Cabinet approved “National Policy on Skill Development” on 23rd February 2009. The policy is a guiding document for implementation of various skill development programmes in the country.
The National Skill Development Policy seeks to:
- increase capacity and capability of the existing system to ensure equitable access to all,
- promote lifelong learning, maintain quality and relevance according to the changing requirements,
- create effective convergence between school education, various skill development efforts of Government and between Government and private sector,
- enhance capacity of institutions for planning, quality assurance and involvement of stakeholders,
- create institutional mechanisms for research development, quality assurance, etc. and
- finally to increase participation of all stakeholders to mobilise adequate financial, physical and intellectual resources.
Shri Harish Rawat Minister of State for Labour And Employment gave this information in reply to a question in the Rajya Sabha