Compensation and benefits to dependents of security personnel in Jammu and Kashmir
Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri G. Kishan Reddy, in a written reply to a question regarding compensation to dependents of security personnel in Jammu and Kashmir, in Rajya Sabha today, said that 3 security force personnel, including 1 SPO, have lost their lives since 5th August, 2019 till 5th December, 2019 and gave details of admissible benefits given to the next of kin of CAPFs personnel, Army personnel and Jammu and Kashmir Police personnel.
Benefits to the Next of Kin (NoK) of Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) personnel who sacrifice their lives in the course of duty:-
(i) Central Ex-gratia: The Central ex-gratia lump-sum compensation has been enhanced with effect from 01/01/2016 from Rs. 15 lakh to Rs. 35 lakh for death on active duty and from Rs. 10 lakh to Rs. 25 lakh for death on duty, as the case may be, to the NoK of the deceased CAPF & AR personnel.
(ii) Extra Ordinary Pension: The NoK of the deceased are entitled to get Liberalized Family Pension (i.e. last pay drawn) under Central Civil Service (Extra Ordinary Pension) Rules,1939.
(iii) Service Benefits: All service benefits viz, Death-cum-Retirement Gratuity (DCRG), Leave Encashment, Central Government Employees Group Insurance Scheme (CGEGIS), General Provident Fund (GPF) etc. are admissible.
(iv) Force Level Welfare Schemes: Each of the force has evolved / set up force level welfare schemes for the employees/ Jawans such as Benevolent Funds, Financial Assistance/Scholarship to the children for education and Financial Assistance for daughter’s/sister’s marriage etc.
(v) Funds from ‘Bharat Ke Veer’: ‘Bharat ke Veer’ is an online portal which enables people to donate voluntarily to the NoKs of CAPF personnel who sacrifice their lives. Such contributions are made directly to the accounts of NoKs online. In addition, funds received in Bharat Ke Veer corpus are also distributed to the NoKs of such personnel.
(vi) ‘Operation Casualty Certificate’: The CAPFs personnel killed in action get ‘Operational Casualty Certificate’ on the line of ‘Battle Casualty Certificate’ as available to Armed Forces. NoKs are entitled to certain benefits viz Air and Rail travel fare concession and allotment of Oil Product Agencies etc on the line of benefits that NoKs of the Defence personnel get on being conferred ‘Battle Casualty Certificate’.
(vii) Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme (PMSS): Under PMSS, an amount Rs.2250/- per month for girls and Rs.2000/- per month for boys is released to the wards of serving / Ex-CAPFs, AR and National Security Guard (NSG) personnel. The amount of Scholarship has now been increased from Rs. 2000/- per month to Rs. 2500/- per month for boys and from Rs.2250/- per month to Rs.3000/- per month for girls from the academic year 2019-2020 onwards.
(viii) Provision of Ex-gratia compensation by the States/UTs: Many States/Union Territories have also made provision to pay compensation /assistance to NoKs as per their rules.
The details of benefits/compensation to Next of Kins (NoKs) of soldiers (Army personnel) (fatal battle casualties)
I. Ex-gratia lump sum compensation from Central Government:-
- Death occurring due to accidents in the course of duties –Rs.25.00 lakhs.
- Death in the course of duties attributable to acts of violence by terrorists, etc. – Rs.25.00 lakhs
- Death occurring during enemy action in war or border skirmishes or in action against militants, terrorist, etc. – Rs. 35.00 lakhs
- Death occurring while on duty in the specified high altitude, inaccessible border posts etc on account of natural disasters, extreme weather conditions – Rs.35.00 lakhs
- Death occurring during enemy action in international war or such war like engagements specifically notified – Rs.45.00 lakhs.
- Additional Ex-gratia for Battle Casualties (BCs) from Army Battle Casualties Welfare Fund – Rs.2.00 lakhs.
II. Details of other monetary benefits entitled to Next of Kin (NoK) of Battle Casualty:
1. Liberalized family pension as applicable to Battle Casualty that is equal to emoluments last drawn by the deceased individual.
2. Death-cum-Retirement Gratuity (DCRG) that is based on length of service rendered and emoluments last drawn by the deceased individual.
3, Army Group Insurance Fund:
a. Officers – Rs.75.00 lakhs
b, JCO/ORs – Rs.40.00 lakhs
4. Army Group Insurance Maturity that is based on the contribution made by the deceased Army personnel.
5 Armed Forces Personnel Provident Fund that is based on the contribution made by the deceased Army personnel.
6. Army Wives Welfare Association Fund: –
a. Officers – Rs.15,000/-
b. JCO/ORs – Rs.15,000/-
7. Army Central Welfare Fund – Rs.2,50,000/-
8. Death Link Insurance Scheme – Rs.60,000/-
III Other Benefits: –
- Education Concession Card
- Air Travel Concession Card
- Telephone Concession
- Compassionate appointment as per eligibility and qualification of NoK
The details of compensation being paid to the Next of Kin (NoK) of Jammu and Kashmir Police personnel and SPOs killed in violence/militancy related incidents are as under:-
|1.||Special Welfare Related (Contributory Fund)||Rs.20.00 lakhs||Rs.5.00 lakhs|
|2.||Ex-gratia Relief ( J&K Budget/SRE)||Rs.38.00 lakhs||Rs.17.50 lakhs|
|3.||Additional Ex-gratia Relief (MHA)||Rs.7.00 lakhs||—|
|4.||Janta Insurance||Rs. 10.00 lakhs||Rs.10.00 lakhs|
|5.||Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)||—||Rs.2.00 lakhs|
|Total||Rs.75.00 lakhs||Rs.34.50 lakhs|