Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
(Department of Personnel and Training)
New Delhi, dated the 18th November, 2008.
Subject : Child Care Leave in respect of Central Government employees as a result of Sixth Central Pay Commission – clarification regarding –
The order regarding introduction of Child Care leave (CCL) in respect of Central Government employees were issued vide this Department’s O.M. of even number dated 11th September, 2008. Subsequently, clarification in this regard were also issued vide O.M. dated 29th September, 2008.
2. Consequent upon the implementation of orders relating to Child Care Leave, references has been received from various sections regarding the procedure for grant of this leave etc. In this connection, it is mentioned that the intention of the Pay Commission in recommending Child Care Leave for women employees was to facilitate women employees to take care of their children at the time of need. However, this does not mean that CCL should disrupt the functioning of Central Government offices. The nature of this leave was envisaged to be the same as that of earned leave. Accordingly, while maintaining the spirit of Pay Commission’s recommendations intact and also harmonizing the smooth functioning of the offices, the following clarifications are issued in consultation with the Department of Expenditure (Implementation Cell) with regard to Child Care Leave for Central Government employees:
- i) CCL cannot be demanded as a matter of right. Under no circumstances can any employee proceed on CCL without prior proper approval of the leave by the leave sanctioning authority.
- ii) The leave is to be treated like the Earned Leave and sanctioned as such.
- iii) Consequently, Saturdays, Sundays, Gazetted holidays etc. falling during the period of leave would also count for CCL, as in the case of Earned Leave.
- iv) CCL can be availed only if the employee concerned has no Earned Leave at her credit.
3. Hindi version will follow.
(Raj Bala Singh)
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India