Government of India
Ministry of Defence
Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare
Sena Bhawan, New Delhi-110011
Dated: 16th July, 2020
The Chief of the Army Staff
The Chief of the Naval Staff
The Chief of the Air Staff
Sub : Provision of Invalid Pension to Armed Forces Personnel before completion of 10 years of qualifying service – reg.
Government of India, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare vide their O.M. No. 21/01/2016-P&PW(F) dated 12th February 2019 has provided that a Government servant, who retires from service on account of any bodily or mental infirmity which permanently incapacitates him from the service before completing qualifying service of ten years, may also be granted invalid pension subject to certain conditions. The provisions have been based on Government of India, Gazette Notification No. 21/1/2016-P&PW(F) dated 04.01.2019.
2. The proposal to extend the provisions of Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare O.M. No. 21/01/2016-P&PW(F) dated 12.02.2019 to Armed Forces personnel has been under consideration of this Ministry. The undersigned is directed to state that Invalid Pension would henceforth also be admissible to Armed Forces Personnel with less than 10 years of qualifying service in cases where personnel are invalided out of service on account of any bodily or mental infirmity which is Neither Attributable to Nor Aggravated by Military Service and which permanently incapacitates them from military service as well as civil reemployment.
3. Pension Regulation of the Services will be amended in due course.
4. The provision of this letter shall apply to those Armed Forces Personnel who were/are in service on or after 04.01.2019. The cases in respect of personnel who were invalided out from service before 04.01.2019 will not be re-opened.
5. All other terms and conditions shall remain unchanged.
6. This issues with the concurrence of Finance Division of this Ministry vide their U.O. No. 10(08)/2016/FIN/PEN dated 29.06.2020.
7. Hindi version will follow.
Under Secretary to the Government of India