Pension to be taken for commutation after retirement: DOPPW Clarification O.M
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, P.G. & Pensions
Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare
3rd Floor, Lok Nayak Bhawan,
Khan Market, New Delhi-1 10003
Date:- 25th Oct, 2022
Subject:- Clarification regarding pension to be taken for commutation after retirement-reg
In accordance with Rule 5 of CCS (Commutation of Pension) Rules, 1981, a Government servant can commute for a lump-sum payment of an amount not exceeding 40 per cent of his pension.
2. Doubts have been raised as to which pension i.e pension authorized at the time of retirement or the pension revised subsequently and payable at the time of application for commutation shall be allowed to be commuted.
3. As per Rule 10 of CCS (Commutation of Pension) Rules, 1981, an applicant who has commuted a percentage of his final pension and after commutation his pension has been revised and enhanced retrospectively as a result of Government’s decision, the applicant shall be paid the difference between the commuted value determined with reference to enhanced pension and the commuted value already authorized. For the payment of difference, the applicant shall not be required to apply afresh.
4. This Department’s OM No. 42/14/2016-P&PW (G) dated 24.10.2016 provides that those pensioners who retired from 01.01.2016 till 04.08.2016 i.e the date of issue of orders for revised pay/pension based on the recommendations of the 7th CPC may be given an option, in relaxation of Rule 10 of CCS (Commutation of Pension), Rules, 1981, not to commute the pension which has become additionally commutable on revision of pay/pension on implementation of recommendations of the 7th CPC. The cases where the additional pension after 7th CPC has already been commuted will not be re-opened.
5. In cases where the pension was authorized on retirement before 01 01.2016 and the pensioner applied for commutation on or after 01.01 2016, the pension which was originally sanctioned at the time of retirement only shall be allowed to be commuted.
1. All Ministries/Departments of the Government of India (as per standard distribution list).
2. C&AG of India, UPSC, etc. as per standard endorsement list.