Government of India
Ministry of Communications
Department of Posts
Dak Bhawan, Sansad Marg,
New Delhi-110 001
1. The CPMG of all Postal Circles
2. Chief General Manager (BD&M), Dak Bhawan
3. Chief General Manager (PLI), Chanakya Puri, New Delhi
4. Secretary(PSB), Dak Bhawan
5. Director, Rafi Ahmad Kidwai National Postal Academy, Ghaziabad
6. All Directors/ Dy. Directors of Accounts (Postal)
7. Principal Director of Audit (Postal), Delhi-54
8. Addl. Director General, Army Postal Service Corps, APS Bhawan, Rao Tula Ram Marg, Delhi Cantt.-10
9. Chief Engineer (HQ), Dak Bhawan
Subject : Provision to extend benefit of payment of compensation of Rs.10 lakhs to all Departmental employees of Department of Posts and all categories of Gramin Dak Sevaks (GDS) to cover death due to Covid -19 while discharging official duties – reg.
I am directed to refer to this Department’s letter No.100-4/2018-Pen. dated 01.06.2018 forwarding therewith guidelines for settlement of claims for compensation on accidents applicable to Department of Posts and Public Sector Undertakings under its control. Reference is also invited to the letter of even number dated 21.10.2019 intimating ‘Budget Head’ for incurring expenditure on compensation. Copies enclosed for ready reference.
2 As per Para 11(iii) of Ministry of Home Affairs’ O.M. No.40-3/2020-DM-I(A) dated 15.04.2020, Department of Posts comes under essential services. Postal employees including Gramin Dak Sevaks are engaged in various essential services like delivery of mails, ease of money withdrawal by customers at his/her doorstep from any bank and any branch etc. Moreover, Post Office is also delivering COVID-19 kits, food packets, rations etc. across the country. Post Office is providing these services by liaising with local state administration and police authorities. Thus, Post Office is performing departmental duties as well as serving the social cause in COVID-19 crisis times.
3. In view of circumstances prevailing due to spread of COVID-19, the Competent Authority has approved to extend the existing Scheme as currently available under the guidelines circulated vide letter dated 01.06.2018 for payment of compensation of Rs.10 lakhs to all Departmental employees of Department of Posts and all categories of Gramin Dak Sevaks (GDS) succumbing to the disease while brought on duty. The guidelines will come into effect immediately and continue for the entire periods till the crises of COVID-19 is over.
Encl.: As above.
(Tarun Mittal )
Assistant Director General (Pension)