7th Pay Commission : Revision of pay of the Chairpersons and Members of the Regulatory Authorities / Bodies
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Department of Personnel and Training
North Block, New Delhi
Dated the 30th May, 2017
Subject: Revision of pay of the Chairpersons and Members of the Regulatory Authorities / Bodies consequent to the implementation of the 7th Central Pay Commission recommendations.
This Department had, vide OM No. 3/6/97-Estt.(Pay-II) dated 29th January 1998, issued guidelines regarding perquisites and some important terms and conditions for the Chairpersons and Members of the Regulatory Authorities and allied matters.
2. These guidelines were applicable to Chairpersons and Members of existing Regulatory Authorities also, appointed subsequent to the issue of these guidelines, unless there is a constitutional or statutory obligation to the contrary. As per the aforesaid guidelines, the Chairperson would be eligible for pay not exceeding Rs. 26,000/ – p.m. (fixed) and Members would be eligible for pay scale not exceeding Rs.22400-525-24500. The pay will be fixed in accordance with the prevailing orders, i.e. pay minus pension.
3. After implementation of the Sixth Pay Commission, in order to attract expertise available outside the Government, the full time Members of TRAI, CERC, IRDA, SEBI and CCI were granted consolidated pay packages vide orders of Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure. Replacement scales of Rs.80,000/- p.m. and Rs.37400-67000 (PB-4) with Grade Pay of Rs. 12000/- (since replaced with HAG scale of Rs.67000-79000) were granted respectively to Chairpersons and Members of all other Regulatory Authorities / Bodies.
4. The 7th CPC has looked into the emoluments structure, including pay, allowances and other facilities/benefits, in cash or kind of the members of Regulatory Bodies (excluding the Reserve Bank of India) set up under Acts of
Parliament, and have given their recommendations in Chapter-13 of their Report. As per recommendations of the 7th CPC, as accepted by Government of India, and also as intimated by Department of Expenditure vide OM No. 394959/ E.IIIA/ 2017 dated 2nd March 2017, the pay and allowances of Chairperson and fulltime Members of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), Insurance
Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA), Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC), Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), Competition Commission of India (CCI), Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA), Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB), Warehousing Development and Regulatory Authority (WDRA), Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India (AERAI), Railway Development Authority (RDA) and Insolvency & Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) which have been de-linked from Government salaries will be governed by the orders issued by the Department of Expenditure.
5. In respect of existing Members of remaining Regulatory Bodies set up under the Acts of Parliament, the 7th CPC has recommended normal replacement pay. This has also been accepted by the Government of India vide Resolution No.1-2/ 2016-IC dated 25th July, 2016. Accordingly, the existing Chairpersons as well as future appointees would be eligible for basic pay not exceeding Rs. 2,25,000/- (Level 17 of Pay Matrix) in revised pay structure and the existing Members as well as future appointees would be eligible for basic pay not exceeding Level 15 of Pay Matrix in the revised pay structure.
6. Existing instructions provide that Chairperson and Member(s) who on the date of his / her appointment to the Regulatory Authority/ Statutory Body/ Tribunal was in the service of the Central/ State Government shall be deemed to have retired from such service with effect from the date of his / her respective appointment as such Chairperson/ Member. In case such officers are in receipt of pension, the same shall be deducted in accordance with the prevailing orders applicable to the reemployed pensioners.
7. The rates of all allowances shall be as admissible to Government employees of corresponding Level from time to time.
8. These orders shall take effect from 01.01.2016.
Deputy Secretary to the Government of India