Travel Benefits for Senior Citizens
- Indian Railways provide a flat 30 per cent discount on fares in all classes of coaches of all trains
- This includes Sleeper Class, First Class, Air Conditioned (AC) Chair and First Class AC in all trains including Shatabdi and Rajdhani Expresses.
- The minimum age defined for senior citizens for this particular discount is 60 years.
- The government has also created special booking counters for senior citizens to prevent extreme discomfort and health problems caused by standing in long queues
- Special coaches have been introduced for senior citizens who use a wheel chair. These coaches have provisions such as space for wheel chairs, handrails and a specially designed toilet. Special ramps for wheel-chaired seniors have been constructed at numerous railway stations, so that they don’t have to face the discomfort of crossing the rail tracks or climbing up stairs. Wheel Chairs for the use of older persons are available at all junctions, District Headquarters and other important stations.
- The Indian Airlines provides a discount on normal economy class fare airline tickets for who have attained the age of 65.
- Other airline companies also offer similar rebates to the senior citizens.
- These discounts allow the elderly to afford to travel the same way as they did while they were working.
- Private Cruise Ship companies and travel agencies offer a variety of cruises to Lakshadweep and the Andamans.
- From time to time they have special offers, discounts and tailored packages for senior citizens.
- Before booking such a trip it is always a good idea to bargain for extra discounts and freebies.