The Union Minister for Communication and Information Technology, Shri Kapil Sibal today informed Rajya Sabha in written reply to a question that the Telecom Unsolicited Commercial Communications (UCC) Regulation, 2007, issued by the TRAI has not been fully effective and needed revision. Accordingly TRAI has issued “The Telecom Commercial Communications Customer Preference Regulations, 2010” on 1st December 2010 with the objective to provide an effective mechanism for curbing Unsolicited Commercial Communications.
The Telecom Commercial Communications Customer Preference Regulations, 2010 have been framed keeping in view the interest of the customers and telemarketers while ensuring effective implementation. These regulations, inter-alia, provide for the following punitive action:-
- Deduction from Security Deposit of telemarketers ranging from Rs. 25,000/- to Rs. 2.5 Lakhs
- Disconnection of Telecom resources of defaulting telemarketers
- Provision of blacklisting of telemarketers
- Provision of disconnection of resources of unregistered telemarketers
- Financial disincentive on Access Service Providers ranging from Rupees on lakh to Ten lakhs