MINISTRY OF PERSONNEL,PUBLIC GRIEVANCES AND PENSIONS
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO : 231
ANSWERED ON 23.11.2011
REVISION OF PENSION
Shri C. R. PATIL
(a) whether the Government had issued a notification for revision of pension of those Government employees who retired before 2006;
(b) if so, the details thereof;
(c) the time by which the pension of the retired Government employees is likely to be revised; and
(d) the details of norms for revision of pension and the likely benefit to each pensioner?
Minister of State in the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions and Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office . (SHRI V. NARAYANASAMY)
(a) to (c): Yes, Madam. Instructions for revision of pension, with effect from 01.01.2006, of pre-2006 Central Government civil pensioners were issued vide Department of Pension and Pensioners’ Welfare’s Office Memorandum No. 38/37/08-P&PW(A), dated 1st September, 2008. These orders provided for payment of the revised pension and the first instalment of 40% arrears by the pension disbursing authorities by 30th September, 2008. This date was subsequently extended up to 30th November, 2008 vide Office Memorandum No. 38/37/08-P&PW(A), dated 14th October, 2008. The remaining 60% of arrears of pension was ordered to be paid by 30th September, 2009 vide Department of Pension and Pensioners’ Welfare’s Office Memorandum No. 38/37/08-P&PW(A) dated 25.08.2009.
(d): The above mentioned orders provided that the pension/family pension of pre-2006 pensioners/family pensioners would be consolidated with effect from 1st January, 2006 by adding together :-
(i) the pension/family pension as on 31.12.2005
(ii) dearness pension, where applicable
(iii) dearness relief upto AICPI (IW) average index 536 (Base year 1982=100) i.e. @ 24% of basic pension/basic family pension plus dearness pension as admissible.
(iv) fitment weightage @ 40% of existing pension/family pension.
The orders further provided that the revised pension, in no case, shall be lower than fifty percent of the minimum of the pay in the pay band plus the grade pay corresponding to the pre-revised pay scale form which the pensioner had retired. In the case of HAG+ and above scales, this would be fifty percent of the minimum of the revised pay scale.
Source : Lok Sabha Portal