Family Pension – list of documents to be submitted by a claimant member

No. 1/6/2011- P&PW(E)
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel. Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Pension & Pensioners Welfare
(Desk ‘E’)

3rd Floor, Lok Nayak Bhavan,
New Delhi the 8th December, 2011

Office Memorandum

Sub: Family pension – list of documents to be submitted by a claimant member of family (other than spouse) along with Form 14. PPO and death certificate in respect of the deceased pensioner/family pensioner – regarding.

The Department of Pension & Pensioners Welfare has been receiving references for clarification by various Ministries/Departments of the Government regarding the documents for family pension, including certificate of income, required to be submitted by a claimant member of family (other than spouse) along with application form (Form 14), PPO and death certificate after the death of a pensioner/family pensioner The matter was also discussed at length in the 20th meeting of SCOVA held on 21st September. 2011 (item No 9 2 of the Minutes refers). It was agreed In the meeting that a list of such documents will be made available at the website of the Department of Pension & Pensioners Welfare. It was pointed out in the meeting that It is indicated in this Department’s Office Memorandum No.45/51/97-P&PW(E). dated 21.7.1999 that a self certificate for the income of those who are self employed or are in receipt of income from sources other than employment may be accepted It was decided to send a copy of this 0M. to all member associations of SCOVA.

2. This iS informed that the claims submitted by a claimant member of family (other than spouse) for family pension after the death of a pensioner/family pensioner in Form 14 and supported by the death certificate and PPO of the pensioner/family pensioner. may be processed in consultation with the Pay and Accounts Officer, who is the custodian of the pension file which contains all relevant Forms and information of the pensioner In a very rare case where the name of the claimant member is not available in the records of the Head of Office as well as the Pay & Accounts Officer concerned and the claimant member also fails to submit a copy of PPO or Form 3 containing ‘Details of Family submitted earlier by the deceased employee/pensioner the certificates prescribed at serial number 9(v) of Form 14 may be accepted In addition to these certificates PAN Card, Matriculation Certificate, Passport, CGHS Card, Driving License Voters ID Card and Aadhar Number may also be accepted. Acceptance of voter’s ID card ana adhar Number is subject to the condition that the pensioner/family pensioner certifies that he/she is not a matriculate and he/she does not have any of the documents mentioned in Form 14 or above Apart from these documents, the Ministries/Departments may accept any other document submitted by the claimant which may be relied upon and which establishes the relationship of the claimant with the pensioner and/or contains his/her date of birth

3 The applicant has also to prove that no other surviving member in the family, who may have a prior entitlement for family pension s eligible For this purpose. the above and/or any other documents, such as marriage/death/income certificates of the other members which may be essential in a given situation may be used.

4. As decided in the SCOVA meeting. a copy of O.M. No 45/51/97-P&PW(E). dated 21.7.1999 is enclosed for circulation to an Ministries/Departments/Associations

(D.K. Solanki)
Under Secretary

Click here to get Original Copy


  1. I am in receipt of family pension from February 1998 and had not received the revised PPO for the payment of family pension to me.I shall be glad if you would kindly intimate the document to be submitted for receipt of revised PPO after the sixth pay commission refixation of pension. I shall also be glad to receive the form no.14 on my above email.

  2. It may be clarified, if both husband and wife are pensioners, in case of demise of one whether the other is eligible for family pension in addition to his/her own pension. If yes what are the condition?


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here