Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
Lok Nayak Bhavan, Khan Market
New Delhi, dated the 7th June, 2010
Subject: Promotion of Assistant to the grade of Section Officer of Central Secretariat Service (CSS) on ad-hoc basis.
The undersigned is directed to refer to this Department’s OM of even number dated 20.5.2010 on the subject mentioned above.
2. As per the existing instructions issued vide OM No. 7/5/2008-CS.I dated 14.8.2008 regarding ad-hoc promotion in the grade of Section Officer, the Cadre Units were allowed to promote eligible Assistants upto SCSL 1995 (Gen), SCSL 1996 (SC) and SCSL 1998(ST) to the grade of Section Officer on ad-hoc basis to the extent of available vacancies in the respective Cadre Units. Subsequently, ad-hoc promotion in all the grades of CSS was stopped, as a policy measure. Considering the fact that posts are lying vacant in the Section Officers’ Grade in various Ministries/Departments mainly on account of court cases, it has been decided that eligible Assistants of SCSL 1996 (General Category), SCSL 1997 (SC Category) and SCSL 1999 (ST Category) may be promoted in the grade of Section Officer on ad-hoc basis to the extent of vacant posts (including the posts falling vacant due to retirement upto 31.12.2010) available in the Cadre Units. The ad-hoc promotion/appointment would be subject to the following conditions:
(i) The period of ad-hoc promotion would be upto 31.12.2010 or till the regular Section Officers are made available, whichever is earlier;
(ii) The ad-hoc appointments shall not confer on the appointees any right to continue in the grade indefinitely or for inclusion in the Select List of Section Officers for regular appointment or to claim seniority in the Section Officers grade of CSS;
(iii)Ad-hoc appointments would continue till regular candidates in Section Officer Grade are available either through Seniority Quota or Limited Departmental Competitive Examination (LDCE). In the event of the ad-hoc appointees not qualifying for regular appointment in either of these two categories, they will be reverted to the Assistants’ Grade on availability of such regular officers from the date they (regular Section Officers) join duty in their respective cadre units allotted to them by this Department;
(iv)The effective date of ad-hoc promotion in respect of those found fit and clear from vigilance angle would be the date from which the officer concerned joins duty in Section Officers’ grade in his own cadre unit.
3. If any of the Officers, who is eligible for promotion in Section Officer grade on ad-hoc basis and is on deputation, he/she may be given option to revert within one month with a view to avail of the promotion on ad-hoc basis.
4. All the Cadre Units are requested to take urgent action to promote eligible Assistants to the grade of Section Officer on ad-hoc basis and a copy of the appointment order may be endorsed to this Department.
5. It has also been decided that the period of ad-hoc promotion allowed upto 30.6.2010, in the case of existing ad-hoc Section Officers as communicated vide OM of even number dated 08.02.2010, may be extended upto 31.12.2010 subject to the conditions as prescribed in para 2 above of this OM.
6. After the completion of the process as indicated in para 4 above, all the Cadre Units are requested to convey the details of the Assistants promoted on ad-hoc basis in Section Officer Grade and the number of remaining eligible Assistants upto SCSL 1996 (Gen), upto SCSL 1997(SC) & upto SCSL 1999 (ST) alongwith the details of the eligible Assistants in the SCSL 1997 (Gen), SCSL 1998(SC) & SCSL 2000 (ST) in the enclosed proformae (Annexure-I & II), latest by 7.7.2010
(K Suresh Kumar)
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India
Click here to get Original Copy