F. No. 11012/8/2011-Estt.(A)
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, PG & Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
North Block, New Delhi- 110 001 November 19 , 2014
Subject: Central Civil Services (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rules, 1965- Advice of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) to be communicated to the delinquent Government servant – Amendment – regarding
The Hon’ble Supreme Court in its judgment on 16.03.2011, while dismissing the Civil Appeal No. 5341 of 2006 in the matter of Union of India & Ors. v/s S. K. Kapoor, had held that it is a settled principle of natural justice that if any material is to be relied upon in departmental proceedings, a copy of the same must be supplied in advance to the charge sheeted employee so that he may have a chance to rebut the same. The Hon’ble Court also observed that there may be a case where the report of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is not relied upon by the disciplinary authority and in that case it is certainly not necessary to supply a copy of the same to the concerned employee. However, if it is relied upon, then a copy of the same must be supplied in advance to the concerned employee, otherwise, there will be violation of the principles of natural justice.
2. The matter was examined in consultation with Department of Legal Affairs and it was decided that in compliance of the above judgement, a copy of the advice of UPSC, if consulted, may be provided to the Charged Officer, before a final decision is taken in disciplinary proceedings. As the UPSC are also consulted in the processes relating to Appeal and Review, it was decided to also extend the benefit of supply of the advice to these cases as well.
3. The rules 15, 16, 17, 19, 27, 29 and 29-A of the Central Civil Service (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rules, 1965, have since been amended vide G.S.R. No. 769(E) dated 31.10.2014. A copy of the Gazette Notification is enclosed. The Notification is also available on the website of this Department at http://persmin.nic.in/DOPT.asp under OM & Orders -> Establishment -> CCS (CCA Rules). There is no change in the procedure upto the stage of consultations with UPSC. The amendment provides that a copy of UPSC advice is to be supplied to the Government servant and his representation, if any, on such advice is to be considered by the Disciplinary/ Appellate/ Revisionary/ Reviewing Authority, as the case may be, before passing the final order.
4. In brief, in the disciplinary cases, where the UPSC are to be consulted, the following procedure should be adopted:
a) The Disciplinary Authority shall forward or cause to be forwarded to UPSC for its advice:
(i) a copy of the report of the Inquiring Authority together with its own tentative reasons for disagreement, if any, with the findings of Inquiring Authority on any article of charge; and
(ii) comments on the representation of the Government servant on the Inquiry report and disagreement note, if any, with all the case records of the inquiry proceedings.
b) On receipt of the UPSC advice, the Disciplinary Authority shall forward or cause to be forwarded a copy of the advice to the Government servant who shall be required to submit, if he so desires, his written representation/ submission to the Disciplinary Authority within fifteen days. The Disciplinary Authority shall consider such representation and take action as prescribed in sub-rules (4), (5) and (6) of Rule 15 of CCS (CCA) Rules, 1965.
5. Similarly, in matters relating to Appeal/ Revision/ Review, a copy of the UPSC advice, if consulted, may be supplied to the Government servant and his representation, if any, thereon may be considered by the Appellate/ Revisionary/ Reviewing Authority before passing final orders.
6. All Ministries/ Departments/Offices are requested to bring the revised guidelines to the notice of all concerned authorities under their control.
7. Hindi version will follow.
(J. A. Vaidyanathan)
Original Order: Click here