From today onwards i.e. 15th February 2012, anyone of the passengers/the passenger booked on the ticket issued from computerized Passenger Reservation System (PRS counters) and Internet (i-ticket) undertaking journey in AC-3 tier, AC-2 tier, 1st AC, AC Chair Car and Executive Classes will have to carry one of the nine prescribed proofs of identity (in original) during the journey. The passengers of these AC classes would be required to produce the Identity Card in original as and when required failing which all the passengers booked on that ticket will be treated as without ticket and charged accordingly. However, the Identity Card (in original or its photocopy) will not be required at the time of purchase reserved AC tickets from PRS counters or i-ticket. These instructions are valid for all categories of trains, with the above mentioned classes of travel. The Ministry of Railways has taken this decision to prevent misuse of Reserved Train Tickets and reduce cases of travelling on transferred tickets, Ministry of Railways has decided that with effect
In case of passengers who are automatically upgraded by the system from sleeper Class to Air-conditioned class and in case of passengers who are upgraded by on-board ticket checking staff on realization of difference of fare, the condition of carrying proof of identity during the journey will not be applicable.
These fresh instructions are in addition to the existing instructions under which the passengers with Tatkal tickets and e-tickets are already required to carry original proof of identity during the course of Railway journey. In case of Tatkal tickets, self attested photocopy of the Identity Card is required at the time of purchase from the PRS counters or Identity Card details (Number etc.) are to be entered at the time of purchase from internet.
A message on this count will be indicated on the ticket issued in the above said classes through computerized PRS/I-ticket.
Center for Railway Information System (CRIS), an organization under Ministry of Railways, has been asked to make necessary provisions in the software.
The list of valid proofs of identity are as under:-
- Voter Photo Identity Card issued by Election Commission of India.
- PAN Card issued by Income Tax Department.
- Driving License issued by RTO.
- Photo Identity card having serial number issued by Central/State Government.
- Student Identity Card with Photograph issued by recognized School/College for their Students.
- Nationalized Bank Passbook with Photograph.
- Credit Cards issued by Banks with laminated photograph.
- Unique Identification Card “Aadhaar”.
The scope of the term “photo identity card having serial number issued by Central/State Government” permissible under the scheme is very wide and it covers a large number of photo identity cards, some of which are as under:
- Pension Pay Orders (PPO)
- Ration Card with photographs
- Senior citizen cards.
- Below Poverty Line (BPL) cards.
- ESI Cards (with photograph) issued for taking treatment in ESI dispensaries.
- CGHS Cards (with photograph) issued to individual family members of Central Government employees.