Action against subletting of General Pool Residential Accommodation & Garage and misuse of Garage by the allottees.
Government of India
Ministry of Urban Development
Directorate of Estates
Dated the 18th January, 2016
Subject:- Action against subletting of General Pool Residential Accommodation & Garage and misuse of Garage by the allottees.
It is to inform that substantially large number of cases of subletting of General Pool Residential Accommodation (GPRA) & Garages and misuse of Garages by the allottees have been found in Central Government Residential colonies in Delhi and other places in the country. The Directorate of Estates has been inspecting Government colonies and recommending all administrative authorities/offices to take disciplinary action against the allottees, who are found to be subletting residential accommodation and garages.
2. It is also found that some of the allottees of general pool residential accommodation misuse the allotted garage, for purposes other than the purpose for which the garage has been provided to them. This also gives rise to unhygienic atmosphere and may involve antisocial elements in the Government colonies and thus, pose security threats.
3. In order to curb the menace of subletting of general pool residential accommodation & Garage, the SR 317-B-20 and SR 317-B-21 of the Allotment of Government Residences(General Pool in Delhi) Rules, 1963 were amended recently. As per these amendments, no officer shall share the residence allotted to him or any of the out-houses, garages and stables appurtenant thereto except with his family and immediate relations. Such out-houses, garages, stables and servant quarters shall be used only for bonafide purposes. If an officer sublets a residence allotted to him or any portion thereof or any of the out-houses, garages or stable appurtenant thereto, he/she may without prejudice to any other action that may be taken against him/her, be charged such damages from the date of inspection by the Directorate of Estates, as may be determined by the Central Government from time to time.
4. By these amendments, the provision of sharing of accommodation has been totally withdrawn and the allottee shall reside with his family and immediate relations only. In case, subletting is proved against an allottee, double the rate of damages are to be imposed from the date of inspection apart from major penalty proceedings under CCS(CCA) Rules 1965 for violation of CCS(Conduct) Rules, 1964 and breach of rules and conditions of the Allotment of Government Residences(General Pool in Delhi) Rules, 1963, which could lead to dismissal from service.
5. Therefore, it is felt that there is a need to bring awareness on ill effects of subletting of GPRA & Garages among the existing allottees of GPRA as well as among prospective allottees of GPRA. The Ministries and Departments of Government of India are requested to make wide circulation of this Circular among their employees and the employees of their Attached and Subordinate offices on the repercussion of subletting of GPRA & Garages and misuse of Garages, so that no allottee of GPRA shall indulge in such illegal activities.
6. CPWD is also requested to give wide publicity of this circular among the allottees in Government colonies in all places through their respective Service Centres.
Deputy Director of Estates(Policy)