Child Care Leave (CCL) & Child Adoption Leave (CAL) – Overview
Child Care Leave (CCL)
Government has introduced Child Care leave with effect from 1st September, 2008. Women employees having minor children may be granted Child Care Leave by an authority competent to grant leave for a maximum period of 730 days during their entire service for taking care of up to two children, whether for rearing or to look after any of their needs like examination, sickness, etc. Child Care Leave shall not be admissible if the child is eighteen years of age or older. During the period of such leave, the women employees shall be paid leave salary equal to the pay drawn immediately before proceeding on leave. It may be availed of in more than one spell. Child Care Leave shall not be debited against the leave account. Child Care Leave may also be allowed for the third year as leave not due (without production of medical certificate). It may be combined with leave of the kind due and admissible.
- The leave is to be treated like the Earned Leave and sanctioned as such.
- Child Care Leave shall be admissible for two eldest surviving children only.
- The leave account for child care leave shall be maintained in the proforma enclosed, and it shall be kept alongwith the Service Book of the Government Servant concerned.
- Child Care Leave (CCL) cannot be demanded as a matter of right. Under no circumstances can any employee proceed on CCL without prior proper approval of the leave by the leave sanctioning authority.
- Consequently, Saturdays, Sundays, Gazetted holidays etc. falling during the period of leave would also count for CCL, as in the case of Earned Leave.
- CCL can be availed only if the employee concerned has no Earned Leave at her credit.
Government Orders for Child Care Leave :
- Child Care Leave in respect of Central Government employees as a result of Sixth Central Pay Commission – clarification regarding – Dated : 18th November, 2008
- Grant of Child Care Leave to women Government employees – Clarification – Regarding. Dated : 29th September, 2008.
- Recommendations of the Sixth Central Pay Commission relating to enhancement of the quantum of the Maternity Leave and introduction of Child Care Leave in respect of Central Government employees – Dated 11th September, 2008
Child Adoption Leave (CAL)
Child Adoption Leave admissible to female Government servants has been enhanced from 135 days to 180 days. It has also been decided that a male employee (including an apprentice) with less than two surviving children, on valid adoption of a child below the age of one year, may be sanctioned Paternity Leave for a period of 15 days within a period of six months from the date of valid adoption.
Government Orders for Child Adoption Leave :
- Enhancement to Child adoption Leave from 135 days to 180 days and extension of the facility of Paternity Leave to adoptive fathers. Dated 20th Aug 2009
- Grant of Child Adoption Leave for 135 days to the female Govt. servants on adoption of a child upto one year of age – Dated 31st March, 2006
Put your questions / views / comments for this post.